Friday, June 01, 2007

net-aholics anonymous

stranded... with no internet.
Oh my god, I am officially addicted to internet. What do we call it - 'net-aholic'? web-aholic? God knows, but I feel completely powerless, useless, lonely and terribly frustrated. Why? An old, unpaid bill, forgotten in a pile of mail... After a few warnings, no internet, phone or tv, a lovely 're-connection' fee and a 24 hour wait to get back online! Do they not understand that I am completely reliant upon the silly
thing. What do I do for a whole morning without access to email, firefox or online news? And more importantly, what did I do before, a few years back, when I didn't have 24hrs web access? Was I Iess distracted, more focused or perhaps even smarter, wiser? Let's hope not. Come to think of it, I did read more, sleep more and go out more. However, I now read on my laptop (yes, reading articles online is just as valid as reading books or newspapers), I write more, work more (maybe not such a good thing when I find myself checking work emails on my days off) and play more with programs like photoshop, FCP and the like.Not a bad thing, but my interests and hobbies seem to have changed a lot on the past few years, or should I say evolved, or progressed with time. What worries me however, is that the lack of computer or internet suddenly creates a huge gap, lull, sense of insecurity with my abilities. What am I without my computer as an extension of my abilities? What am I able to do? What do I want to do? In this particular instance I discovered that a morning of 'unconnected' peace was very soothing in many ways. Frustrating at first, but as hours went by, I found the extra time useful - besides an extended yoga self practice, I deep cleaned the flat, gave my balcony a mini makeover, repotted and watered my plants, started a new book and even found time to play with kitty. Pleasant time to spend a morning, but perhaps not my ideal way of living either. I'm a net-aholic and shamelessly admit it.

No comments: