Saturday, June 30, 2007

Recyclo-holics

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the rise of people obsessed with green living, be it as a fashion frenzy or just because they're dark green? Well I know a few leafy greens (late summer kind of green) and I have to admit turning one shade greener myself. But not to the point of recycling every scrap of paper, composting all my organic waste and growing potatoes on my balcony (I said I would, but it's so much easier to just buy them, no?). Such an attitude towards a green life is highly laudable, but not an easy feat for most people- and it's sometimes a little scary too. Compulsive recyclo-maniacs who make a point of tearing every inch of paper or carton off packaging, to pop into their 'green' bag, making sure all their shopping choices are 100% recyclable and ethical. I mean, that's great for mother earth, but have some fun chaps!
There is something highly satisfying about recycling, knowing all your waste will be re-used in some way or another. It kind of justifies your actions as a consumer. The consumer re-consumes instead of consuming itself. hmmm?
Well, my green bag is getting bigger every week (how much do I consume??) and I have found myself tearing off Onken yogurts carton packaging: it started out of curiosity -and boredom, having finished a whole pot in front of friday night tv- but now I take it off religiously and conscientiously place it in my recycle bin. I also take the bottom card round off! Christ! Am I turning leafy green? Well, I can assure you that I'm not one of those people who recycles post-its.... yet....

No comments: