Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Yoga Shopping

Yoga Shopping

As a new year begins, this is the time when resolutions kick in and many make commitments to start the year in a good stead. I have done this before but personally think resolutions should be part of a lifelong practice, not one of those feel good topics which sprouts up each January – and often sinks into oblivion by spring. In any case, I hope to carry on whatever I have started in the previous years, perhaps add a little more energy and effort into things I struggle with, and of course maintain a regular yoga practice. 

But before I bring myself back into a strict morning Mysore  practice again, I am indulging into a investigative luxury that many spend their lives doing – yoga shopping. From my point of view, I am curious to explore other traditions of asana practice, see what others are spending their energy teaching, and how these can all lead –eventually- to the same path. Although I am personally committed to Asthanga as a physical and life discipline, it can be interesting to see other approaches, all of which are valid in some ways. My only reservation lies in the fact that the variety of yoga on offer these days just reflects the whole social consumerist phenomenon. Like aisles of the supermarkets, we have endless choices of what classes to attend – from more classical Hatha, Iyengar and Asthanga styles to Glo Yoga, Myofit classes and Yogalates. Like a shopper who gets confused with which brand of eggs to buy (free range, organic, omega 3 enhanced?), a new yoga practioner will often get lots in choice, possibilities and confusion. Those lucky ones may just find the right class for them immediately, an inspiring teacher and develop from there on, but for most, attending a weekly yoga class is like buying a weekly loaf of sourdough bread at the local farmer’s market – it might make you feel good, but the effects will only go as far as one is able to commit. One box or organic eggs and a loaf of sourdough a week may feel like a leap in faith, but the real benefits lie beyond the weekly shop – or class in this case.

So for one week only, I have chosen to ‘shop around’ so to speak – try out some new styles and classes, perhaps learn some new tricks, but knowing that in the end I will go back to my regular discipline. Like a beginner, I find it interesting to experience how it feels to learn, listen and sense other forms of yoga practices. It can be liberating or frustrating. Liberating in the thrill of trying out new postures, techniques and approaches, but frustrating when these just don’t work for me. Without judging or making this a critique, exploring new possibilities is one valid way to start the year. 

Namaste.

No comments: